Penne with Roasted Fennel and Eggplant
Very flavorful, a bit salty with a little crunch from the toasted pine nuts.
Serves Serves 4
1 medium eggplant Peeled and cubed (1")
4 ripe roma tomatoes cut in half, and then quartered
1 fennel bulb thinly sliced (save the top to use in salads)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
8 cloves garlic minced
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano
several grinds black pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil thinly sliced
1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
1/4 cup capers
1 pound brown rice (or whole wheat) penne pasta cooked according to package instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. LIne a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add eggplant, tomatoes, fennel, oil, garlic, vinegar, salt, oregano and pepper to a large bowl and toss to mix.
- Pour the vegetables mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes.
- When pasta is done, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. Drain the pasta, and then place the pasta back in the pot, and add the roasted vegetables to the pot. If the pasta is dry, add some of the reserved pasta water to the pot.
- Add the basil, pine nuts and capers to the pot and toss to combine.
- Place pasta in a serving bowl, or on individual plates and drizzle with a little olive oil.