Mushroom and Farro Soup
Great flavor and texture. This soup will warm you on a cold winter night.
1.5 ounces mixed dried wild mushrooms (eg. shiitake, chanterelles, maitake)
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon black peppercorn whole
1 sprig fresh thyme
12 cups filtered water
1 large onion sliced, peels reserved
3 cloves garlic peeled, chopped, and skins reserved
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup farro soaked overnight
1/4 cup low sodium tamari
1/4 cup dry sherry
16 ounces fresh shiitake and oyster mushrooms sliced
to taste black pepper freshly ground
to taste sea salt
- Add dried mushrooms, bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme, reserved onion peel and garlic skins, and water in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Strain the liquids into a large pot. Discard the solids.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot, then add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add the farro, mushroom stock, tamari, and sherry. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 1 hour, until the farro is tender.
- Remove lid, add the fresh mushrooms and simmer until mushrooms are soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serves 5, as a main dish.