Roasted Winter Harvest Soup
Delicious, slightly sweet, garlic-infused roasted vegetable soup.
1 large green bell pepper coarsely chopped
1 large red onion coarsely chopped
1 medium garnet yam coarsely chopped
2 large carrots coarsely chopped
1 medium fennel bulb coarsely chopped
1 small zucchini coarsely chopped
1 cup cremini mushrooms sliced
8 cloves garlic peeled
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups cooked cannellini beans
1/2 medium head savoy cabbage coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place bell pepper, onion, yam, carrots, fennel, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic in a deep roasting pan. Drizzle the vegetables with oil and toss with clean hands until evenly coated. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper and then a sheet of foil. Roast for 20 minutes, stir vegetables, and roast for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from the oven. Pick out the garlic pieces and add to a small bowl with the rinsed and drained beans. Mash the beans and garlic with the back of a spoon until they are smooth. Set aside.
- Place the rest of the roasted vegetables in a stock pot. Add the stock and tomato paste, and heat on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the mashed bean mixture to the pot, along with the cabbage and salt. Simmer until the cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Serves 8, as a main dish.