Lentil and Rice Stew
This stew makes a satisfig meal on a cold evening.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 large yellow onion diced
8 cloves garlic peeled and minced
1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice rinsed and drained
2 cups green lentils rinsed and drained
2 large bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoons dried marjoram
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
(2) 28 oz. cans canned crushed tomatoes
11 cups filtered water
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil and sherry over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, stir to coat, and cook for 7 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the rice, lentils, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper and cook stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and water. Increase the heat to high, bring to a boil, then reuce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes until the rice and lentils are tender.
- Serve piping hot.
- Serves 10-12, as a main-dish.