Great texture and flavor. This will become your favorite breakfast.
(2) 14 oz packages extra firm tofu rinsed, drained and pressed
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 teaspoons worcestershire sauce (vegan)
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons low sodium tamari
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon (heaping) ground tumeric
1 cup quinoa cooked
2 cups carrots grated
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 cups baby spinach leaves coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil coarsely chopped
1/3 cup sunflower seeds toasted
- Prep: Press the tofu to remove excess water; Cook quinoa according to package instructions (note - will double in size once cooked), Toast the sunflower seeds, Grate the carrots (I use the food processor with the grating blade).
- Crumble the tofu in a large bowl, and add the yeast, Worcestershire, thyme, tamari, paprika, salt, and tumeric. Stir to incorporate the flavors into the tofu. Add the carrots and quinoa and mix well.
- Heat a 16" cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil then add the veggie-tofu mixture and scramble with a wooden spoon. Continue to stir the mixture for about 7 minutes until the mixture is firm. (Don't worry if the tofu sticks to the pan, this just adds a little extra flavor.) Stir in the tofu and basil then remove from heat and allow the spinach to wilt slightly.
- Place on individual serving plates and sprinkle wih sunflower seeds. Enjoy!
- Serves 8
- Serve with a piece of sprouted grain toast with a little olive oil sprinkled on top.
- I like to put a few extra servings in mason jars while hot, which seals the jar, and then I can eat as leftovers later in the week. (However, you do still have to keep the jars refridgerated.)