Curried Barley, Shiitake, and Broccoli Stew
This is a meal in a bowl. Serve with a nice leafy salad
1 medium, diced onion
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
several grinds ground black pepper
1 tablespoon low sodium tamari
3/4 cup uncooked pearl barley
2 medium, diced red potato
1 large, diced carrot
3 cloves, minced garlic
1 tablespoon curry powder
8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
6 cups, trimmed and chopped broccoli
6 cups, de-stemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- Prepare Barley: Rinse barley in a bowl until the water is clear, then drain water.
- Place barely, potato, carrot, onion, garlic, curry powder, and thyme in a stockpot and pour in the stock.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce then reduce the het to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and shiitake mushrooms, bring to a strong simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently, until the barley is tender.
- When ready, the broccoli will be tender the and the consistency should be a thick stew. Add more stock if you want a thinner consistency.
- Stir in the soy sauce, salt, and pepper and serve hot.