Fruit and Veggie Handroll
This handroll has great flavor and texture. Quinoa is used instead of rice and ume plum gives it great flavor.
Serves Serves 2 as a meal, or 4 as a starter
2 sheets Nori
1 cup cooked quinoa
3 teaspoons raw tahini
2 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar
1 ume plum pit removed
2 romaine leaves
1/2 cucumber seeds removed and julienned
1 apple cored and sliced thin
1 avocado sliced thin
1/2 cup pea sprouts
8 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to Broil. Place nori on a sheet pan place under the broiler for a 2 seconds. The nori will turn bright green. Flip the nori over and toast for 2 seconds. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. (Note: this step is optional if you want "raw")
- In a cup sized bowl, mix tahini, vinegar, and ume plum until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Place the apple, veggies, basil and sprouts on a serving platter.
- Place the quinoa in a small bowl.
- Cut each nori sheet in half on the diagonal. Place two triangles on a serving plate.
- Allow each person to assemble their own hand roll. Spread 1/4 of the tahini-ume plum sauce in the center of the nori sheet, add the quinoa and then the fruit, veggies, sprouts, and basil. Fold two ends of the nori triangle over the contents to form a cone shaped hand roll. If desired the cone may be sealed by wetting your fingers and dampening one edge of the nori.
- Eat up! (Because the ume plum is salty there is no need for tamari.)